Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Journey to Become a Published Author

I am suddenly inspired to post on my blog again after many years.  Having recently finished a new novel--the first of a series--I wanted to journal my experiences trying to get it published.  Let me backtrack a bit.  After some research, I decided to write an erotic paranormal thriller.  That's where the men are alpha males and the women are alpha females; and while fangs, claws, and hot sex are S.O.P., they all live happily ever after.  I read quite a few books in the paranormal romance category before I began to write.  That may be wise or not.  Anyway, I finished my novel, using WriteItNow as a software program.  I knew I needed better organization tools than Word and Excel, especially for a series.  How to keep track of all the events and characters?  I revised my manuscript about 50 times and then began the process of writing a query letter and a synopsis to send to literary agents.  Did I mention that I hate writing a synopsis?  To distill 93,000 words into what will fit on two pages is a skill I lack.  I should note that I had joined B.A.R.N. (Bainbridge Artisan Resource Network) for their jewelry, glass, and writers studios.  The writers studio lead found someone--thanks Carol--who read my synopsis and made suggestions.  Finally, I developed a list of agents who accept paranormal romance novels.  So far, I have contacted 37 agents and received 16 rejections.  Most of the rejections are form letters but at least the agencies had the courtesy to respond.  And, maybe I am deluding myself, but I thought that a few of the rejections were not form letters.  Several agents actually paid me a compliment while noting that the project was not for them at this time.  I still have quite a few agents to contact, but I have paused for a bit because I am going to attend a Field's End workshop on Book Basics for Writers:  A Day Dedicated to Your Publishing Success with Alice B. Acheson.  The pause has allowed me the time to go back into my paranormal romance novel and edit one more time.  Perhaps, I am writing on my blog again because today I am procrastinating.  The pause also allowed me to rethink sending the manuscript to agents at this time.  Perhaps, I should wait until book two of the series is complete also.  I have observed that series romances seem to be published rather rapidly one after another.
As an aside, the B.A.R.N is a great experience.  Meeting fellow aspiring writers is like a shot of adrenalin.  They keep me going; they keep me inspired; they keep me on my toes. We recently held a First Responders group meeting where I reviewed the plot of book two in my series.  The First Responders then speculated on where the book was going and other aspects of the plot.  It was a very beneficial meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment